Monday, March 8, 2010

Serendipity

serendipity |ˌserənˈdipitē|noun
the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way a fortunate stroke of serendipity a series of small serendipities.
Serendipity is one of the great joys of life.  I've thought of it often since reading this 2006 article by William McKeen.  But I realized recently that gardening is a wonderful way to experience the joys of serendipity.  
Here are a few examples of garden serendipity. . .
These impatiens are volunteers  that self-seeded from summer 2008.  This picture was taken early in  summer 2009.





This Virginia Spiderwort was growing wild in my daughter's back yard.  When she moved last summer, I asked her if I could dig it up and bring it home. 


The hardy ageratum was growing randomly around my back yard when my husband and I moved in.  I transplanted a few of them to a sunnier, more fertile spot and they have thrived and volunteered in other places around the yard as well.
Two of these Leatherleaf Mahonias appeared along the fence last summer in an area that I hope to develop into a shade garden.   They haven't bloomed, but maybe with maturity, they will.
 This little shamrock was on the clearance table in the grocery store shortly after St. Patrick's Day a couple of years ago.  What a delightful surprise to find that it came back the next year and bloomed all summer!


I'd love to hear about other gardeners' serendipities!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us how giving Nature can be - and lovely photos!

Grower Jim said...

My yard is all about serendipity. I always let any unidentified seedling grow because I think it will one day turn into something interesting. And most of the time it does!