Monday, May 24, 2010

Butterflies and the pagoda

I gathered with my siblings this weekend at the family home on Lake Norman.  A rainy morning cleared to blue skies and a cool breeze in the afternoon. While walking around the yard, I noticed a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly - the flrst I've seen this season - so I followed it with my camera. 
The swallowtail and a silver-spotted skipper were both attracted to the flowers of this Pagoda Dogwood.
This small tree had been hiding for years in a tangle of other shrubs, vines, and larger trees until my brother uncovered it.   I think I'm going to add it to my garden wish list.

6 comments:

Gary said...

Hi Ginny,
What beautiful photos!

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Ginny these photos are just wonderful. How wonderful to have such beautiful creatures visit your garden.

littlewing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
littlewing said...

The Pagoda Dogwood is lovely. Are you in zone 7 or 7b in your home garden? I would be interested to hear how one would do in 7b.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtails are my favorites:)

Ginny said...

The pagoda is in zone 7a - at home I'm in 6b according to the USDA map.

Bonnie said...

Beautiful swallowtail pictures.