Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Snuggle up to those you love

Inspired by this month's Gardening Gone Wild Picture This contest, I've been getting up close to the plants I love - I've been practicing macro photography all week.   I may not enter the contest, having seen all the fantastic entries already posted to the gallery page, but it's been fun to have the challenge of the theme "Lighting:  a closer look".  I love macro plant photography - I don't know that I'd focus on the incredibly beautiful detail of most everything in my garden if it weren't for these photos.
My first subject was this year's single bloom from last year's very full Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia.

Then on to the daylilies that began blooming last week.  I love the way they catch the morning sun.
The New England Asters are already blooming.  My first thought when I looked at this was that they look as if they're waking up from a long sleep.
This Black Eyed Susan bud is still closed tight. One of the things I love most about gardening is watching the progress from bud to bloom.  Doesn't it look hopeful?
This morning I focused on Snow Fountains Guara, the lightest and airiest plant in the garden.  It makes my heart feel light just to look at it.

Stop on by Gardening Gone Wild to take a look at the entries - they'll inspire you!

12 comments:

Cat said...

I absolutely love the shot of the aster blooms - so sweet!

HolleyGarden said...

Good shots! I can not seem to get the macro right - I blame the camera! :) Love those gaura blooms.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

I think you should enter the contest. Your shots are great! I was especially fascinated with the New England Asters--you caught them at a most interesting stage and angle!

Anonymous said...

All your images are nice, but the first one is really my favorite. It is easily a fine competitor to those in the gallery. I enter for the fun of it. I like the challenge put forth by the judge. I also like the write ups after the winner is chosen. So much to learn in why some images were better than others. I am always in others too. LOL, so no fears in entering, it is about what you learn for next time

Sheila said...

The aster blooms are beautiful - I've never noticed blooms at that stage. They look like they're spinning.

Wally said...

Lovely photos. I especially like the Gaillardia, such a warm cheerful colour and so beautifully captured.

One said...

Hi Ginny, I checked out the gallery. Looks like you didn't participate after all. Why? Why not? I like the first 2 very much.

Anonymous said...

I like all the photos but the top one the best. I entered the contest because I had a photo I loved already and wanted to show it off.

Southern Lady said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Carla

Karen said...

Excellent photography, love the lighting.

Gail said...

Lovely blooms Ginny~and thanks for the GGW reminder~I need to pop over there. gail

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Great photos! I like garden macros too (mostly because plants STAY STILL - tee hee hee)