Monday, June 13, 2011

Lighting up the garden

One of the highlights of Spring for me is watching the hydrangeas begin to leaf out and then bud.
 I eagerly await early June when the blooms appear.  
I love them in all seasons but winter, admiring them right up until the 
first hard frost turns them nearly black.   

My hydrangea bed started with a single discounted plant that struggled a couple of seasons
in a spot that was too hot and too dry.  I moved it and added another - a plant from the florist - 
one that was meant to be enjoyed and then discarded. 

 Since that time I've added several other lace caps and some mop heads as well.  
I don't know the names of any of them, but I don't really care.  
I do know that I love the way they light up the garden.

8 comments:

BernieH said...

Such beautiful flowers. I so enjoyed the sequence of shots from budding to blooming. I wish I could grow these beauties! They do indeed light up your garden.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love hydrangeas but they are not happy down here with our heat and humidity.

Thanks for the wonderful shots of these lovely flowers.

FlowerLady

HolleyGarden said...

I love hydrangeas, and agree they shine in the shade. I love the lacecaps, but the regular old mopheads do best for me. The blue is another benefit - it really draws attention to their big beautiful blooms.

Amy said...

Those are beautiful, Ginny!

Stacy said...

What a beautiful process. The second photo where only the tips of the flowers are blue--just magical! It's like watching a fire catch at a bit of paper.

Donna said...

Ginny those are spectacular in color....I only wish mine would turn purple and blue...we shall see if I was able to make magic happen....

Carolyn ♥ said...

Ginny I feel the same about my hydrangeas... and they are just beginning to show tiny buds. Sweet anticipation. Yours are beautiful!

Jennifer said...

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden
Your blue hydrangeas are just beautiful!