Sunday, October 14, 2012

A visit from Heaven

"In fact, millions of butterflies were all around us—vast fluttering waves of them, dipping down into the woods and coming back up around us again. It was a river of life and color, moving through the air."
from "Heaven is Real" by Dr. Eben Alexander.

I have always felt that a visit from a butterfly was akin to a visit from Heaven, and reading "Heaven Is Real"  affirmed that feeling.  Though I have done much to attract butterflies to my garden, they aren't so commonplace that I take them for granted.  Even if they were in abundance, I would still be in complete awe of them.

Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, and others have been visitors this season.  
Today a Monarch stopped by and stayed for a while, giving my heart and spirit a great lift.



7 comments:

Randy Emmitt said...

Ginny,

I saw a few Monarchs today. But I heard last weekend was our big Monarch weekend in Durham. Enjoyed the photos.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Oh so pretty. They're gone from the north for another season. They seem magical to me, too. Great captures!

Debbie said...

Love the monarch butterfly! My grandkids and I collect the catterpillrs each year and raise them so we can watch them come out of there cacoon...it is beautiful!

Donna said...

Oh Ginny I so agree that butterflies are so special...everything stops for me when they enter the garden and I stop and watch them in awe as if an angel has visited the garden and me.

Cat said...

Such nice photographs, Ginny. I know exactly what you mean. Each butterfly visit is a special gift to the soul. I've noticed lots of migrating butterflies coming through Central Texas this week. October is one of our best months for seeing a lot of them.

RURAL said...

I feel the same way when I see a butterfly, and I know how rare it is to see them here.

Bit by bit, I am planting more friendly shrubs for them...

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Anonymous said...

A friend lost her young son several years ago. Since then she has been noticing butterflies as never before, and they comfort her. I hope you are finding some rest and comfort in this time of your grief.