Sunday, July 19, 2009

Late bloomers and another butterly

Some of the prettiest color in mid-summer is in the pots on the porch. I've been lucky to find some combo pots of annuals at Lowe's on the 50% off rack. With a little TLC, they do very well!

This trumpet-shaped red flower is called Little Red Riding Hood and is described as a fast-growing trailing perennial. It's not growing fast in my garden - at least not yet - but I hope it will take off and climb up my porch rail.

The tri-color sedum has nearly doubled in size since I planted it late last summer, and it looks like it will be blooming soon. The blooms should last late into the fall.
I added a bird nesting box to the fence. It's probably too late for a brood of babies this summer, but maybe next Spring. . .
I think I finally found the best location in the garden for gerbera daisies. This one was a birthday gift from my grandson, Mac, who loves flowers, butterflies, and bumblebees.
A close up view of the basket of blooms on the fence (in the picture with the bird box). This is made of up old, new, and leftover plants. The verbena and ivy have been growing the basket for a couple of years but I added a few petunias and impatiens to it.

I'm always watching for butterflies to photograph. This little yellow one - a sulphur - spent quite a while on the Penta.



No comments: