Monday, June 28, 2010

One hundred and counting

This is my 100th post to Ginny's garden.  I was off to a slow start in 2008, with only 15 posts that year, and only 22 in 2009.  I started my blog in the dead of winter, without anything much to blog about.  I had decided that I needed to keep a garden journal, with pictures and notes to record what I had planted, what worked, and what didn't.  In February my husband brought home some yard art that he had purchased at one of our favorite local shops and that was the subject of my first post - three pictures, a nearly empty garden, and just a few words.  I posted the picture below in the Spring of 2008 when we planted the bed in front of the fence.  The hostas you see in front of the fence had been planted where they received too much hot afternoon sun and needed to be moved. We added some small azaleas, some impatiens, a little Japanese maple, some hellebore, a fern, and a few other things - with plenty of room to grow.

June 2008

In June of 2009 it looked like this

Much to my delight, the impatiens had re-seeded throughout the bed

Last fall we lost all of the shade provided by the trees on the other side of the fence.  I blogged about that here, here, and here and still grieve over it.  We've planted some Carolina Jessamine and are patiently waiting for it to grow along the top of the fence to soften it.  
Now at the end of June in our first season without shade,  the impatiens have once again re-seeded and are growing well where they have shade from shrubs and structure, such as the bench.

Some of the hostas, on the other hand, will have to be moved - they're sunburned already.  I don't know what I'll replace them with.
On the up side, I planted zinnias that I grew from seed just to the right in front of this bench, and they're doing well.  Zinnias are just about the cheeriest flower I can think of.  I've also added brazilian verbena, some mums that will provide color in the fall, some purple verbena.  Sunflower and cosmos seeds have sprouted.  

Meanwhile, impatiens have popped up all around the yard.  I grow them in pots each year on my side steps and they've sprouted in the cracks of the steps.

The brick keeps the roots nice and cool - I don't have to water these much!

I have been learning and growing as I've written these 100 blog posts - growing older but I hope I have also become more humble, patient, and accepting.  (Losing those trees has been my greatest test, and I'm not sure I've passed it yet.) I think the next 100 blog posts will come much more quickly than the first 100 as it's a joy to be able to share what's going on in Ginny's garden with you.

I think the true gardener is a lover of his flowers, not a critic of them. I think the true gardener is the reverent servant of Nature, not her truculent, wife-beating master. I think the true gardener, the older he grows, should more and more develop a humble, grateful and uncertain spirit. ~Reginald Farrer, In a Yorkshire Garden, 1909

6 comments:

BernieH said...

Congratulations on your anniversary ... I'm looking forward to many many more of your posts.

Your garden bed certainly developed nicely and it was such a shame to lose all the lovely shade ... but it sounds like you've come up with some colourful planting choices for that area.

Your Impatiens walleriana look lovely around your garden bench ... they are such fantastic self-seeders. Have you got another shadier spot for those lovely hostas?

Amy said...

Happy 100th post! I love the photo with the bench and the hostas...very pretty!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Happy 100! We reached the same milestone last week. Your garden is looking fabulous, and I love that you have the before-and-after shots for comparison. It's wonderful to see how a garden evolves over time.

Elizabeth Barrow said...

Happy anniversary! Thanks for your comment on my blog -- and what a lovely hydrangea photo.
I look forward to seeing your garden develop. It's off to a great start!

Unknown said...

I enjoy reading about your garden, Ginny. I agree, it's a soul-enriching endeavor.

Anonymous said...

100 posts! Congratulations! I'm afraid to count mine... Your garden is lovely, and I love seeing how it's progressed over the years.